Monday, October 20, 2008

Joe and Franks excellent adventure
















I Know Frank probably wan't thrilled with the day overall but it will be an adventure he can tell for years to come! It was all my fault as i have been bugging him for two years to go on a ride with me to a place that i call absolute heaven for mountain dirtbiking....it's the major leagues for sure. i have posted on here about it in the past with breathtaking pictures. so here is my side of the story:





my alarm went off at 420 am, got up and hit the road to franks to pick him up by 530. we had a long drive of 3 1/2 hrs or so to meet up with 6 other guys that were also riding Gifford Pinchot national forest. the plan had changed the day before as we were to be lead by a couple of very experienced, top notch riders. they decided to go farther south that we originally planned into territory that i had ridden some of, but was not completely familiar with. we all hit the trail at 1030 am and within the first 2 miles my buddy got a flat, then after fixing that, 3-4 miles later i remembered there was a hidden tree stump coming up on the right....i tried to warn frank but he couldnt hear me. he hit it with his rt shoulder and it knocked him and bike off the trail and down into the bushes. he was sore and not happy, as well as a banged up bike. back on the trail and soon we come to mile after mile of steep trail that is carved out across rock cliffs that we were traversing. with 8 of us there was someone getting stuck or having some trouble here and there so we were not cruising at a super fast pace for much of the time. anyway, we finally made it to shark rock ( one of the toughest sections of trail anywhere) and were wondering where these guys were leading us. somewhere miles down the trail i managed to slide on a mud section that happened to be in a very narrow area with a steep almost vertical drop off on my rt....you guessed it, i flew right over this cliff and down 25 ft or so off the trail. i was ok but it took 4 of us to drag my bike back over to the trail and get it running again ( i was very lucky, right Frank?). well by now it was getting pretty late and we assumed that we were getting closer to the end back at the trucks, but nooooo....my buddies kept saying just a few miles more then we take the road back. sure, right, ummm....rob was leading us all over the place, supposedly heading back but who knew? we even came to a crazy section where we had to cross a raging creek that had the bridge washed out and all that we had was a foot wide plank dropped in the water on the rocks to walk the bikes over ( see the attached video of frank and dion walking his across!) yikes! anyway of course it soon got dark, and of course we were still out on the trail, and of course 2 of the 8 did not have headlights ( frank), and of course this is bigfoot country, so of course we started to get just a little bit worried. soon we reached the "road" in total darkness and leader rob says " another 7-8 miles and we're back"...of course it wasnt 7-8, it was 23 miles and we were all very cold, very tired,very low on fuel, and not real happy by the time we got back. we were very releived to be done and back on the road home,but hey it was 8 o'clock at night! about 1 1/2 hrs later on the drive back we finally got some dinner at a subway in a tiny hippy town along the way and by then it was 930pm and i had not eaten more than a couple candy bars in the previous 16 hours! i dropped frank off and finally got home at 1130 pm. kind of a long day. oh yeah, i had to get up at 7 am and work the next day too. all in all a crazy ,tough, fun adventure for sure. a tough ride around here in an average riding place is around 40-50 miles. we did 73 at THE toughest area around. sheesh!! i loved it though!





17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...first of all it is absolutely stunning scenery but secondly "WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY??????"

8:21 AM  
Blogger dad said...

Sounds like a hectic day. Love, DAD

9:22 AM  
Blogger F.Feldhaus said...

Its Tuesday and I am still sore from that ride. I have a bruised shoulder, a bruised left quad, a bruised right hammy, and a bruised egeo!What Joe failed to tell you was 75% of the time you are riding on the edge of dissaster an inch or two one way or the other and its serious trouble. I think the mental stress wore me out! Looking back it was good to do it ONCE!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Ok I agree with Vycki "absolutely stunning scenery".... I miss riding with you guys.... ok I meant to say with Joe... I haven't gone with you Frank... Glad to see every one made it out a live... I like my brothers in one piece thank you...

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uhhh Maria...you did go riding with Frank. Remember the swimming pool incident????????

5:31 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Damn Vycki how quickly I forget.... :)

6:22 AM  
Blogger feldfour said...

Crazy?? Disaster??serious trouble??...naaaah, I'll be back there again this saturday ( must savor this place quickly before the snows come soon).
Joe III

8:44 AM  
Blogger dad said...

Frank+motorcycle+water=problem
Love ,DAD

9:29 AM  
Blogger feldfour said...

Just so everyone knows, Frank is a very skilled experienced rider now and a long way from the old days with the minitrail. that creek crossing we did as well as many other "water hazards" encountered over the years were very challenging and difficult. I'm sure he doesn't get to ride as much as he would like right now.

Joe III

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no doubt the he and you are both extremely skilled riders. I just couldn't help but tease a little about the infamous pool incident....scary then, funny now!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I think of it, instead of the swimming pool incident I could have brought up one other time when someone went off the side of a cliff except they were on skiis instead of a motorcycle. Oh yeah.....that was also Frank.

I think I see a trend.....

11:12 AM  
Blogger dad said...

All activities that are fun, interesting and exciting also have an element of danger. The more expert we become the more danger we seek. Here are a few examples:
MOTORCYCLES- remember my wipeout at Helen Morgan school
GOKARTS- Lauren must rember turning upside down in a race once
SCUBA- ask Debbie about diving with me in Puget Sound
SKIINNG- Vicki do you rember fracturing your leg
BASEBALL- I believe Lauren lost a few teeth once
HORSEBACK RIDING- Vicki, remember you and the little ones this summer
MARTIAL ARTS- I'm learning to use a 3foot long sword and a 6 foot long staff- no injuries yet
How about the thrill of piloting a small airplane or skidiving or mountain climbing? DANGER, DANGER

Love you all- keep doing exciting things
DAD

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Dad. We love you!

1:18 PM  
Blogger feldfour said...

I wont even go into the downhill skiing/ snowboarding that joey and I, and Frank and "the boyz" still do....the faster,the better! Riding or skiing...a much better way to spend a day off than sitting around watching tv anytime. I know Lauren loves to run and bike ride ( when not piloting her harley) and karen...sheesh, she speedwalks what 5-10 miles every day!? you go girls!
Joe III
Joe III

8:19 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Don't forget about me and my fight with a schwinn bike and the bike won... I walked away with a broken arm.... Danger I tell you... danger at every turn... lol Oh what a fun childhood we all had together... :)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ok Ok -
so the moral of this story is .... how boring are all those families that don't Ski, Bike, Run, Shoot Hoops, Motorbike, Swim, Martial Arts, GoKart, hmmmm has anyone been in Archery, Gun shooting, Hang Gliding??? Sounds like we need to pick up these sports
Lauren

10:51 PM  
Blogger dad said...

I've done the archery- still have an old longbow- and shooting( hey I'm a Texan now) and have 3 rifels and a little 14ga. snakecharmer shotgun. Haven't tried hang-gliding. DAD

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home